LiVES - LiVES is a Video Editing System
The LiVES software is a volunteer project. Please help keep the
project going by making a donation:
Quick link >> Linux packages; click here.
Quick link >> Linux source; click here.
Requirements to run LiVES
Windows and Mac (Intel) usersWindows and Mac (Intel) users can try out LiVES without installing anything, by downloading and burning a copy of >>AV Linux<<, either to DVD or bootable USB. Click on the link for more details of this great live distro !
* OSX users can also compile a native version of LiVES; see below for more details.
GNU/Linux, BSD and UNIX
- x86 800MHZ+ (recommended) or PPC (spec unknown) or amd64 (any). 2GHz+ Pentium/AMD for real time effects.
- 256MB+ memory for encoding (recommended 512 MB+)
- 5 - 10+ GB disk space as a minimum (more is better)
- GNU/Linux 2.x, BSD, openMosix or Solaris (OpenSolaris 2009.06 or higher) (also compiles under IRIX)
See below for sourcecode and links to binaries.
OSX LeopardLiVES will compile and run under OSX Leopard; you can follow the links here (English) or (Spanish) for more information; it would be great if somebody could create and send a simple installer package for OSX.
Software requirements (GNU/Linux)
- mplayer 0.90rc1+ compiled with png/jpeg support (version 1.0pre8+ recommended)
- ImageMagick 5+
- perl 5+
- gtk+ 2.4.0+ (2.14+ recommended) or gtk+ 3.0.0+
- libjpeg62 and/or libpng
- sox with libsox-fmt-all
- libpulse0 (recommended)
- python 2.3.4+ (recommended)
- SDL (recommended)
- mencoder 1.0-pre5+ (recommended)
- libmjpeg-tools (recommended)
- libtheora (recommended)
- libjack/jackit (optional)
- cdda2wav (optional)
For compilation from source, you will need:
- GNU automake 1.7 or higher
- GNU autoconf 2.57 or higher
- GNU gettext 0.12.1 or higher (0.17 recommended)
- GNU libtool 1.5.22 or higher
- libgtk+-2.0-dev 2.4.0 or higher (2.14 or higher recommended) or (as of 2.0.0) libgtk+-3.0 3.0.0 or higher
Latest "stable" version (recommended for most users) : 2.2.5 for GNU/Linux and UNIX systems (released 01 July 2014)
Download : Source
- DOWNLOAD: LiVES-2.2.5.tar.bz2
- DOWNLOAD: LiVES-2.2.5.tar.gz
README - how to install
Changes - See CHANGELOG for more details.
Release Notes- Versions 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 both contained serious bugs.
- Version 2.2.3 has known compilation problems with libav > version 54, and graphical errors with gtk+ 3.0 < 3.8.0.
Please update to 2.2.5 if affected by any of these issues.
ChecksumsLiVES 2.2.5: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 2.2.4: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 2.2.3: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 2.0.5: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
LiVES 2.0.4: Signed sha1 and sha256 checksums.
See the contact page to verify the gpg fingerprint.
Frei0r SupportThese releases contain (optional) support for Frei0r effects. You can use these by: downloading Frei0r effects from http://files.dyne.org/frei0r/
Compile and install frei0r before compiling LiVES. Frei0r effects can be bound to keys in LiVES using the realtime effects window (ctrl-v).
For more information on frei0r, see: http://www.dyne.org/software/frei0r/
Binaries (some versions may not be current)Note: if you know of a version which is not listed here, please let me know so I can add it. Packagers: please contact me so that I can send you the release/compilation notes whenever a new version is ready.
DebianLiVES is in the official debian repositories (unstable and testing), so:
aptitude install lives
should just work. Alternately you can use a graphical package manager like synaptic to download and install LiVES.
Note: if you have LiVES getdeb packages installed, you will need to remove these before installing from the debian repositories.
Note: please DO NOT install the LiVES packages from debian-multimedia.org, as they are broken, several years out of date and no longer supported.
UbuntuFor Ubuntu users please install through the Ubuntu Software Center.
Note: if you have getdeb packages installed, you will need to remove these before installing from other sources.
Ubuntu StudioUse the Ubuntu PPA if possible.
openSUSEPackages for openSUSE are available here.
Fedora Core / RPMFusionFedora/RPM Fusion packages are now available here.
SlackwareLiVES for Slackware
GentooFor Gentoo users, there are ebuilds for x86, ppc and amd64. Just type "emerge lives" (without the quotes).
Gentoo users - you MUST make sure that you have installed gtk+ and imageMagick with jpeg and png support !
MageiaLiVES is distributed in the Mageia core repositories.
Arch LinuxPackages can be obtained here
Custom Scripts for LiVES !Once you have succesfully installed LiVES, you might want to customise it. LiVES uses scriptable plugins to create custom effects and tools. Add-ons can be downloaded/installed from here.
Extrasmulti_encoder is now the recommended encoder for LiVES, it has its own requirements here.
To use all the other encoder plugins, you need:
- mencoder (part of mplayer)
- libdv2-apps or libdv (encodedv)
- sswf (for the new swf encoder)
- mjpegtools (for mpeg1/2,vcd,svcd,dvd)
- ghostscript (for pdf encoding)